Thursday, November 11, 2010

taking a breath of fresh, thankful air...

Head out to the van!
Winter coat with the hood pulled up on this balmy fall morning. Nightgown. No socks with last night's dress shoes. We get Calla to school in some of the craziest outfits, but we're usually the only ones who see it. I have resolved to get dressed each morning, because it is inevitable that the morning I have my pajamas and white tube socks on is the same morning my neighbor is out with his dog. Or Calla can't get the school door opened on her own and I have to humble myself and get out of the van to help her. Two or three embarrassing encounters have reformed me to at least make sure I am assembled decently.
On the trip home, I was sighing in contentment. Amelia sang "Oh, be careful little mind what you think..." continually on the 5 minute trip home. She stopped a few times to explain to me what each verse meant. "Like, when we think, 'I don't want to go to church, God!' Right, Mom?" Out of the mouth of babes! I am so thankful for a church full of workers who are teaching my children these theology-laden songs and their meanings.
I also watched as neighbors walked to work and waved at each other. As different city workers and companies were fixing up our beautiful little town. As I realized I can drive home on a route that is all stop signs and rural streets instead of stoplight after stoplight and gridlock traffic. I am so thankful for our sleepy little town. I am thankful for family and friends who live around us.
I am thankful for life today. Thank you, Lord, for the life you have given to this lowly child of yours...

No comments: