Thursday, November 4, 2010

A second trip...

Ah, the first day of school. Such excitement and anticipation. Everything was prepared and ready, and she quickly flew through her morning tasks and was out the door in record time. FAST FORWARD to this week...
"Do I have to get up? I barely fell asleep." Calla, eat your breakfast. Calla, get your clothes on. Calla, brush your hair and teeth. Calla, get your coat on. Calla, grab your bags. Calla, did you grab your lunch? No, I forgot...three times this week! Could you please drop it off before snack time?
What to do?
I took one morning last week and told her it was completely her responsibility to do everything without being told. She did wonderfully. But the next morning the novelty had worn off and it was back to poking and prodding for each step. I don't make her do everything. I choose her outfit and lay it out. On slow mornings, I actually aide her in getting dressed like an Indian aya. I make her breakfast and pack her lunch. Lately I have even been brushing her hair and pulling out her toothbrush for her. So why is it so hard to grab your stuff?
Once was a complete surprise. I received an email from her teacher and didn't see it until after lunch. She survived on her compassionate classmates offerings. Then two more times in a row. The meanie in me says, "Too bad! You'll have to not eat lunch today." Then the momma in me grabs the lunch and takes it to school. Grace. God gives me grace.
But He also desires me to be responsible. So there will be a small discussion when she gets home that the "meanie" will win out next time. An empty tummy may be a much better teacher...

1 comment:

tacky said...

For a minute there I thought that you had changed the names to protect the innocent as you described one of your friends...silly me...then I remembered that we both have girls in the same stages of life! And since we homeschool...and you drive to school...thankfully, it had to be you who was the meanie... this time! It is hard isn't it!?! Yes...grace and mercy...and it is those same things that require us to correct even when it is hard! Trust me...you don't want to have to be running forgotten stuff when she gets to highschool. It happens...right now...but I'll protect the name of "the innocent". I wonder how it will work when he gets to college?! Hmmm You'd think "teacher" moms would have it all together after those years in the classroom...yah, right...it's harder on the other side of the desk than it looked! We didn't have a clue back then, did we? Are you laughing...yet? I'm trying to...and it makes me miss you! I love your perspective on things! Love ya!