Friday, December 31, 2010

a favorite christmas tradition...

I have so many favorites, but that's my sentimentality coming into play. Here are a few examples of how this momma goes cuckoo-crazy on the Christmas traditions...
I love to pick out our LIVE tree from the same local tree farmer here in town. My favorite trees are tall and round with short needles. The girls each have their idea of a good tree. So, now that they're older, I have to bite my tongue when allowing them to pick the tree. I do give hints and oohs and ahhs are appropriately doled out to the trees of my choosing during the picking process...I can't help it. How can one be completely silent when choosing
THE tree?
The "my how these girls have grown this year" Christmas card picture. This year's was done on an extremely chilly blustery day. Sorry girls, no coats, or hats, or mitts. Momma needs to see those cutesy gingerbread shirts she slaved over to get finished in time for Christmas card pictures. Nobody was frost-bitten and I did leave the van running for good measure...
On Christmas Eve, right before bed, the girls open one gift. It is always a new set of pajamas. Even though they know it's coming, they still love the surprise of what the jammies will look like. Obviously, Calla was a tad excited!
The girls wake up to their stockings on their bedposts. They open them right as they wake up for the morning, bedhead and all...
The Christmas story first. Before any presents are unwrapped from under the tree, we read Luke 2. This year Calla read for us.
And perhaps my favorite tradition is one that was not even set up by me. But as you can see, I am a sucker for tradition. My father-in-law loves listening to his grandkids sing. Several years ago, he started asking each grandchild what Christmas song they would like to sing. All of the adults join in and we sing one song for each grandchild. I love to see what each one will choose. Amelia chose "Jingle Bells" this year. She's my budding theologian. Calla chose "We Three Kings." I was surprised to see most of the kids knew the words. I wondered if I even knew all of the words to the first verse.

So, I love Christmas and all of it's traditions. I even left out a few. A new ornament for each child each year. Hot breakfast after all the gifts are opened. I think I've stopped introducing new traditions - for now. I so enjoy Christmas...





No comments: