Monday, June 18, 2007

Weekends...

I love weekends. Starting on Friday afternoons, I feel free. Like there will be no limits to the things we can do as a family. This past Saturday, we started off at "Breakfast on the Farm." It is an annual event that none of our four family members have experienced. Even Cory, who has lived here most of his life. We were pleasantly surprised. A large spread of food. Games for the kids. Freebies: pencils, magnets, coloring books. Poking around the farm. And Culvers ice cream. The only drawback was the sweltering heat. We only stayed about an hour and a half.

At two, we were off to a wedding. It is interesting to me how my perspective on weddings has changed. When you are young, a wedding is an unbelievable event. You sit and watch everything in awe and then you fidget until it's all over. When you get to the point that you plan your own wedding, things are a blur. Then all your friends get married and you watch each one so affectionately. That was nice. I liked that song. The flowers were beautiful. She looked stressed. Glad it's over. At this stage of my life, going on 7 years of marraige, two smallish kids, a wedding seems like another event. I spent more time worrying how loud my girls were being than I did noticing all those wonderful details I looked at before. The wedding was rumored to have child care, from the very lips of the mother-of-the-bride. Not so lucky. Cory ended up being my nursery room attendant with Amelia while I sat with Calla, who is very much in the awe and fidget stage. The reception was wonderful. Outdoors. Casual. Coffee bar. Kid-friendly table of snacks and games. Did I mention they had a free coffee bar? One iced mocha for this mother of two on this 90 degree day. Thanks a bunch.

Then Father's Day. I love Father's Day. I love the Dad of my girls. He is amazing. When you marry someone, you know how much you love them and you know what they are like in their relationship with you, but you never know what type of parent they will be. I got the best of the best. Well, I should say that my girls got the best of the best. Their dad loves them. Loves to be with them as much as he can. Plays with them, even if he has to eek it in between a few other responsibilities. My kids will never wonder if their dad loves them. He tells them and shows them every single day. Happy Father's Day, Cory.

No comments: