Thursday, June 7, 2007

Spending time...

I realize the importance of time, most often because of how little I feel I have. When I choose what to do with my day, I usually want to enjoy what is chosen. I realized long ago that a lot of my discipline problems were stemming from always having my kids in places I wanted to be. How can I expect them to behave when we are always in adult-friendly environments? My kids need an outlet. And when they get to do what is fun and engaging to them, my day goes better, too! What a novel concept!

My time lately has been playing catch-up. I feel like the housecleaning gets to a point that I need a few days of just catching up. I soon come to the reality that Calla wants my time. So I need to choose the better over the good. I only have one more year of being the most prominent influence in her life. I need to utilize this time. I know I will miss the time with her while she is at school way more than she will miss me.

This week I was also reminded of time with our loved ones. My sister-in-law lost her mom to a sudden reoccurrence of cancer on Amelia's birthday back in February. My own dad has been gone for three and a half years. How precious is the time spent with them now! There was a discussion with Calla today about why people have to die instead of staying here so we can be with them. Tough questions from an innocent mind. I miss my dad so greatly. I want him to be here so I can be with him, too. I want to make all my moments count with those I have right now. Take the time with Calla and Amelia. Make an extra effort to let Cory know how much I love him. Embrace my mom every chance I get.

No comments: