Saturday, June 2, 2007

Flexibility...

This week has shed some light on my inflexibility. I like surprises only if they are ruined and I can prepare myself. I have always been one to get an anxious stomach on the eve of something new and unknown.

First test, the weather. We were in shorts last week at the park and I had to borrow sweatshirts from another (more prepared) mom. This week has been hot and humid. My very least favorite weather. So. How do I function with two little rambunctious girls that most definitely do not want to be hermits in our semi-cool home atmosphere? My rigid answer would be, "Who cares? We'll sit in the house until next week if it means no sweaty, yucky air." But my heart tells me that would not bode well. We were at the parks, on our swings, outside every day. I even ate lunch with the girls outside twice, which is another issue for me all together. We did take refuge in air-conditioned bliss at Wal-mart once as well. It's a little give and take sometimes, right?

Second test, the bedtime. My mom always reminds me that when I was little, I was a bedtime nightmare. Thanks a lot. Let's let bygones be bygones, ok? Right now I need sympathy. Calla does not need much sleep to function. She has never napped longer than an hour and a half. She has had a 10p.m. bedtime for a long while. She still is up by 7a.m. Sometimes earlier if she's excited for her new day to begin. Well, now as much as ever before, she stalls at bedtime. We have tried so many different mehods. Earlier bedtime. Nope. Longer bedtime routine. Nope. Shortened bedtime routine. Nope. Flat out bribery. Maybe. Nope. Discipline tactics have always remained firm and effective, but still no easy bedtime good nights. She has been up until after 11:15a.m. the last two evenings. Sobbing. Scared of anything and every thing. She gets that from me. So. The first night she fell asleep in my arms. The next, in our bed until we were done with our movie downsatairs. We'll see how tonight pans out.

I will always have a new challenge to face. Every day. It is how I act in response to those challenges that keeps me on my knees. God has entrusted me with these two precious girls. Me? I want to do a proper job. I Thessalonians 5:24 "Faithful is He that calleth you, who also will do it."

No comments: