Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Crazy days...

There are some moments in life that you instantly think, "This will be a funny moment someday."
A dear mommy friend reminds me that I need to respond, and not react to these daily situations. It is amazing how often I have to repeat that phrase to myself. Amelia seems to keep me in constant supply of "stories" to tell. She is mischief. Curious to a fault!
Her recent antics include markered art on a friend's shoe rack. Emptying a full sippy cup over the couch cushion. Lip gloss doubling as hair gel. That was this week alone. And today she decided to try momma's makeup. Mascara all over her face. Unfortunately, she did the entire thing while soaking in the tub. My makeup bag was completely submerged. Most of it is ruined. Eyeshadow doesn't take well to bathing. So, react or respond.
Take the bag out of the water and slowly remove it's waterlogged contents. Wash the two-year-old's raccoon eyes with a soapy washcloth and console her when it stings.(a small lecture on cause and effects was inserted here!) Get her out of the tub and resume with the rest of the day.
One day out of the few that I have with her. She's a little girl. She is learning from these experiences. It is up to me to make sure that she is learning the right lessons.What to touch and not to touch. But also, what reactions, umm - responses, we have to daily situations.
Now, how to hone that little girl's curiosity into a workable talent...

2 comments:

tacky said...

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!!! She doesn't "look" so mischievous in the cute pictures! A master of disguise no doubt! It sounds like you handled it better than I would have...I would be washing my own racoons eyes over the replacement costs! Have fun shopping...maybe try some new colors! Kari

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder. Sounds as if my Emma Kate is going to have a lot in common with your Amelia. Thanks for the reminder about responding and not reacting. Gotta go--Emma is investigating!