Tuesday, September 9, 2008

School...

The white backpack with red hearts.
The cupcakes.
Calla and Miss Brill.
Calla and her classmate, Ella.
Calla and her cousin, Abby Grace.

I have been through my fair share of the first day of school. But the first day of school 2008 has, by far, been the hardest. I have been anxious for this day since my niece went to school last year. It reminded me that Calla's turn was coming.
In August, we took the garage sale money we made and went school supply shopping. A few weeks earlier, I had asked her what kind of backpack she wanted to find. "Maybe, a white one with red hearts. Or a white one with pink flowers with yellow middles." Yikes. Could we possibly be more generic. Purple. Pink. Nope she was set. Well, she miraculously found a white backpack with "burgandy" hearts on it. She was in love. It is the size of a small toddler, but she had to have it. Hopefully it lasts her quite a few years, or her tastes last quite a few years. We filled it up with horsie folders, pink erasers, a Hello Kitty lunchbox, and a fun Strawberry Shortcake pencil box from Amma per request.
Well, yesterday, it came as planned. Calla was so excited that she leaped out of bed and was fed and dressed within a half an hour. I made cupcakes for her to share with her class. She put her heavy backpack on and reluctantly posed for a few photos. Off to our very first day of school in the Cory Veldman household.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Thankfully, I didn't have to do that this year since I'm homeschooling, but I've done it twice with Emily, and it's SO hard! Look at your cute cupcakes!!