Wednesday, April 20, 2011

a sewing frenzy...

I have had the bug to sew lately. I think it's because "sewing weekend" is coming up. I always start feeling the urge to sew when I know I'll be visiting Nancy's Notions. The mecca of fabric and all things sewing.
So. On my list of projects...

1. a pillowcase for Calla-girl's (eventually) new room.
2. summer dresses for an upcoming trip.
3. a shoulder bag for same said trip.
4. a thank you gift for the providers of said trip.

Part of Calla's birthday present from me was a box of fabric pieces with the agreement that she and I would sew together. She is forever asking me to sew with her.

I know that the right response would be,

"Absolutely, lovely daughter-of-mine. Let's sit together and sew and bond as mother and daughter over a wonderful hobby to learn."
But, alas, I am not June Cleaver. Or Martha Stewart for that matter.

My response is usually an internal,

"If I have to sit to teach you how to sew, it may drive me bonkers. I am a perfectionist when it comes to crafts. You, my darling 8-year-old, are naturally not going to do it perfectly. This will cause great frustration in your sewing instructor, providing several teachable moments and a great dose of patience."

This internal response is usually verbalized with a simple, "Probably not right now."

But when I give the gift of a sewing lesson, I can't use excuses too long. We finished our pillowcase project in just two lessons. It's not perfect, but she loves it!

I have the thank you gift cut out and ready to sew.
I have the fabric for the dresses in the wash.
I have several bag patterns coming to me tonight to sort through.

I love to sew. The possibilities are endless...

No comments: