Friday, August 21, 2009

A new season...

Has it really been a year?
Calla is heading off to the first grade on Monday. It is truly time for summer to end, but daunting to think of the upcoming school year. I didn't realize the emotion I had been supressing until this week. For the next 12 years, Calla will be a full-time student. Every day. It's the "every day" part I am struggling with. To drop her off to spend the majority of the year under the authority of someone else. Under the care of someone else. To have her come home to "tell me about her day." It's a whole new season of life, as my dad would call it. I do not regret the decision to have her in school. I certainly count it a priveledge to have the means and the facility to send her to. But it is hard to see the last season come to a close. Did I use the time I had, day in and day out, as a major influence in her days, did I use it wisely? Was I effective?

As this new season comes into bloom, I must realize the influence I still have. I am still her mom. I am still in her life every day. I cherish my daughter. I want her to know it, too. Maybe I'll snuggle with her a little longer tonight...

1 comment:

Redhead Mama said...

I know how you feel, even though I am homeschooling. It is difficult to grasp at how fast the time goes to have an influence on our kids. Thinking about it makes me want to just cherish (yes, tell Christin I used the word "cherish") them even more...